The German physician Dr. Klaus Märtens, who served in the armed forces in World War II, designed the first prototype of Dr. Martens’ shoes, also known as Doc Martens, few weeks after World War II was over. His aim was to develop sturdy shoes that featured a softer sole than conventional work boots at that time. With this prototype he convinced his friend Herbert Funck, who had studied with Märtens at the University of Munich. In 1947 they became partners and started in a small town called Seeshaupt to develop soles for their shoes made of discarded rubber from the German Luftwaffe. The shoulder boards of the uniforms were used as insoles and the leather of officer’s leather pants was used as upper for the production of the boots. It was an advantageous moment for selling them since people wished for more comfortable shoes.