In 1923, the foundation stone was laid: Lorenz Wagner established LOWA in Jetzendorf, a Bavarian town near Munich, starting with the production of “Haferlschuhe”, traditional Bavarian shoes. The expansion of the company soon became necessary in the 1920s due to the high quality of the double stitched shoes which are entirely hand-made – a method of production that originated in the mountains. The prices for materials rose by approx. 50% during the Korean War so the company had to buy its materials at a high price in order to be able to continue production. As prices fell and invoices came due, the company became insolvent overnight. Lorenz Wagner died in 1953 so the second generation took the lead in 1955. Wagner’s daughter and her husband Sepp Lederer increasingly used innovative synthetic materials and technologies, capturing a new market for LOWA shoes.